Ahow, Boozhoo, Bagoneyaan’gatook nindizhinikaz, moonz nindodem, Animakee Wa Zhing #37 nindoonji. My English name is Rhonda Nash, and I am from the Moose Clan from Animakee Wa Zhing #37.
I came to AKRC in August of 2019 as the Executive Director. Since arriving, many projects have been progressing at a very fast pace. I am learning new things as we head halfway into this fiscal year of 2020-2021 and facing the current COVID-19 Pandemic. Our staff members are working continuously to ensure our communities receive the support, advice and technical services.
Updates and current initiatives for AKRC (as of November 1, 2020)
- Rotating Work Schedules – AKRC staff has since continued to work out of home on a rotation/shift schedule of five staff on Mondays and Wednesdays, and second group of 5 Tuesdays and Thursdays, Fridays is reserved for cleaning of the office. This rotating schedule is set to remain in place until further notice.
- Covid-19 Food Security – As we prepare for the second wave of the current pandemic, staff have been working together to ensure our communities are provided with some necessities to assist with Food Security issues. The COVID Coordinator applied on AKRC’s behalf of a Food Rescue program aimed at rescuing excess foods that may end up being discarded. Our goal with this program is to ensure less waste for our gookomisinaan. Communities will begin receiving delivery and pick-up notifications – We are encouraging the communities and its members to be on the lookout for delivery dates through the Covid19 page.
- AKRC MAPS (management action plan) was lifted around or communication started around September 2010. AKRC has been under the MAP since 2008. AKRC is now current and working on de-escalation.
- HUB Program – On October 22, 2019, a meeting with ISC in Kenora, the Chiefs made a request for AKRC to explore and acquire own water treatment/waste-water management system for member communities. October 19, 2020 is the official start date of new HUB program for AKRC. A new HUB manager has been hired.
- Finance Manager/Advisor – The Finance Manager/Advisor continues to work from home until further notice
- Education – the education unit has been active since the beginning of May 2020 with a new strategic plan developed with member communities and the education steering committee in December 2019. You may view the strategic plan under our Education page.
- PSW Program – AKRC is delivering the PSW program with our 5 communities through Seven Generations, classes have started on September 14, 2020 and will end March 31, 2021 via online.
- Website – As you may have noticed, the AKRC website has undergone major construction. We are currently working on restoring/updating the website with historical and most current information for our communities to stay up to date on important news, activities and events.
As the Covid-19 pandemic is still present in all of our lives, I am urging our community members to remain diligent, practice social distancing, wear your masks when venturing from your communities, and stay home if you are feeling unwell. Together we can leave the pandemic out of our communities and ensure the safety of our families.
Meegwetch ndikit bizin’dowiiyag. Thanks for listening.