The Education Department provides administration and management of the education programs of AKRC with assistance to its member communities, to plan, manage, administer and monitor the activities related to First Nation education as per the strategic directions of AKRC Education Unit and policies of AKRC, as established by the AKRC Governing Board of Chiefs:
- To manage and ensure the activities of the Education program are within budgetary requirements/policies of funders and AKRC;
- To fulfill reporting requirements of funders and AKRC in a timely manner;
- To research and access potential funding for the education unit as per the strategic directions, and provide information on potential funding to member First Nations;
- To facilitate and/or coordinate collaboration and networking with member First Nations related to meeting their strategic goals in education;
- To monitor ongoing activities, policies and legislation and provide briefings to member First Nations through input from School Directors/Principals and/or Education Steering Committee;
- To participate as a representative of AKRC on territorial /provincial / national education committees / groups as required;
- To research and maintain current knowledge of First Nations and Provincial education and best practices;
- To contribute skills to other areas with the Resource Council whenever the need or the opportunity arises;
- To participate as a team member of the Resource Council in formulating strategies, policies and plans to ensure the Resource Council mission and goals are achieved.
- To be an advocate on behalf of member communities when required.